Mason – 1 month

This was written on Sept 11 –

I have to update on the entire first month of little Mason’s life.  First, here are his current stats at 5 weeks and 2 days old – Yesterday I ran out of size 1 diapers, so I decided to try size 2 on him, and they fit perfectly!  So, he is officially already in size 2 diapers.  And, I put a 3 month sleeper on him tonight and it was about an inch too short.  So, he’s quickly growing into 3-6 month clothes.  And he is barely a month old!  When he is given a bottle, he can drink 5 ounces.  About a week ago, he started sleeping from 10 to 3 or 3:30 at night.  He wakes up to eat and usually is wide awake.  So, I have been putting him in his swing and I’ve slept on the couch the rest of the night.  In his swing, he can hang out happily awake but it usually puts him to sleep eventually.  So, it keeps me from having to hold him and lose more sleep.  Usually about an hour before we have to wake up at 6:30 or 7, I’ll get him out of his swing and snuggle with him on the couch.  I cherish those moments where we both sleep and keep each other warm and snuggly.  I know it’s not the best idea, so I don’t do it for very long.

Mason was born at 7:17 pm on Friday August 5.  He was 10 lbs 4 oz and 23.5 inches long when he was born.  He scored a 9 and 9 on his apgar scores which is awesome!  He also had great scores on his sugar test which I couldn’t believe since big babies tend to have low blood sugar right after birth.  When we were discharged he weight 9 lbs 12 oz.  He was circumcised right before we were discharged on Sunday morning at around 11:00 am.  He was a mellow and calm baby right from the start.  He rarely ever cries unless he is hungry, tired, needs to burp, or has a dirty diaper.  On Tuesday, Aug 9 we took him to the doctor for his first exam and a weight check.  He had a little jaundice at the hospital and it was still there on Tuesday.  The doctor wasn’t concerned about it and said it would go away in a few days on its own.  He weighed 9 lb 13 oz that day.  We went back on Thursday to have another weight check and he weighed the exact same – 9 lbs 13 oz.  The doctor started to get concerned because he should be gaining weight.  So, I had to go to the lactation consultant to see what was going on.  I knew my supply was ok because I was pumping a lot after he ate.  The lactation consultant meeting was very frustrating because I just assumed I knew what I was doing since I had done this all before.  But, she told me I was doing it all wrong and we worked forever on trying to get it right.  He was finally able to eat about 3-4 ounces during that meeting and she was satisfied with that.  The next few days were very frustrating for both me and Mason, but we finally got the hang of it after a week or so.  During the appointment on the Thursday after he was born, we brought to the doctor’s attention a place on his neck that was several little lumps under the skin.  The doctor didn’t seem too concerned, but still wanted to get it looked at.  So, two days later on Saturday, I had to take my little guy to the hospital for an ultrasound on his neck.  The technician looked at the area very closely, and determined that she didn’t see anything wrong – no tumor or blood clot.  She said it was probably just a superficial vein.  Thank goodness!!

This was written on September 20:

My mom spent the entire first week with us while Richie worked.  It was so great having her here because I was still getting around pretty slowly.  Thankfully Mason was a good sleeper, so I was able to get rest as well as take naps during the days.  He would wake up 2 or 3 times each night, but always went right back to sleep after he ate.  Poor mom had to sleep on an air mattress the entire week, and on Wednesday she pulled a muscle in her back so she had to be careful when playing with Mackenzie.  But, we were able to have lots of time to hang out and she was able to bond with Mackenzie since she was the one who fed her most of her meals and was able to get on the floor and really be with her.

All good things must come to an end, and Mom was gearing up to start back to school, so she left on Friday afternoon when Mackenzie was a week old!  But, I was so glad because Richie was taking off the whole next week to be with us.  That Saturday, Richie’s sister Ashlea, Andy, and Peyton came to visit us.  It was great for Mason and Mackenzie to hang out with their cousin!  Sunday we had a visit from Stacy and Kevin which was great, too!  Monday Richie took Mackenzie to the pool for a couple of hours and it sounds like they had a blast.  Tuesday Mackenzie had her 18 month checkup and Mason had another weight check at the doctor.  It was slightly chaotic, but thankfully Richie was home to go with me to the doctor with both of them.  I was so nervous and praying that Mason had gained some weight.  He weighed 9 lbs 16 ounces!  Dr. Lake wasn’t thrilled with only 3 ounces gained in 5 days, but she said we didn’t have to come back.

Mason’s first month of life had several crazy natural events happen.  First, during the day we were in in hospital waiting for him to be born, it was really rainy and I remember seeing on the news about tons of flash floods all throughout Charlotte.  Then, about 2 weeks later, there was an earthquake!  Mackenzie was in daycare and I was sitting on the couch nursing Mason one afternoon.  All of a sudden, the house started shaking ever so slightly.  I wouldn’t have even noticed it if I hadn’t been sitting very still.  It only lasted maybe 10 seconds.  I immediately went on facebook and people from New York to Virginia to Georgia were posting like crazy that they had all just felt an earthquake.  I’m glad I wasn’t going crazy!  When Mason was about 4 weeks old, Hurricane Irene hit the NC coast.  Richie’s parents were here when they realized that it was supposed to hit Tarboro really hard.  So they had to leave on Friday and head home when they had planned on staying until Saturday.  Their house had some damage and 2 huge trees fell in their yard.  They lost power for a few days, too.

Mackenzie’s appointment went well.  She weighs 24 lbs 5 oz and is 32.5 inches long!  That’s 50-75% for both height and weight.  The doctor said she looked great and wasn’t concerned at all about her lack of talking.  She is at a 2 year old level with her motor skills.  The doctor told us to really try to transition her to a straw cup (I have tried and she just doesn’t get it) and to limit paci access to the crib and the car.  Since that appointment, we make her throw her paci in the crib when we leave her room in the morning or after naps, and she does great with it!  She hasn’t had a paci during the day in over a month now.

Anyway, we had a great week with Richie home with us.  He took Mackenzie to the natural science museum on Wednesday.  I’m glad they were able to have some time together outside the house.  The hardest part about the past 6 weeks has been the inability to take Mason out in public.  I have managed to get out a few times, but I’m lucky to get a shower most days.

I can wrap up the first month by saying that it has been hard, challenging, and exhausting.  But, this time around I’ve really been able to stop and cherish the little moments with my newborn that I didn’t do with Mackenzie.  No matter how much he cries or needs me, I have not once gotten frustrated or overwhelmed.  I just love that I can always somehow figure out how to make him feel better and comfort him.  Since this is our last baby, I want to breathe in every moment, the good and the bad.  I love my beautiful children and love watching them grow and change.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s