Almost 16 months

Note:  I wrote this post last week on June 8th.  But, I’m just getting around to posting it!

Time is flying by.  I can’t believe it’s been 2 and a half weeks since I’ve posted.  2 weeks ago on May 23rd Mackenzie cut another tooth – molar on lower right side.  Also, tonight I felt in her mouth and her right top molar is about to pop through… probably by tomorrow.  She has handled this round of teething like a champ.  I really haven’t had to do much to manage her pain during any of the times she has been teething.

On May 21, we took Mackenzie out on the boat and she wasn’t that big of a fan.  She loved exploring the boat, but she hated the water.  I think it was still borderline too cold.  It was really hard for me to keep her under control and maneuver around the boat since I was 6 and a half months pregnant.  I was exhausted after only being out there for about an hour.  We are glad we took the opportunity to take her out because the next day we sold the boat!  It was a very bittersweet time because we had so many fun memories on the boat and always wanted to raise our kids on the lake.  But, right now it just doesn’t make economic sense to keep it.  Maybe we’ll be in a better position in a year or 2 to buy a cheaper pontoon boat that is kid friendly.  We wouldn’t have used the boat that much this summer, anyway.  That saturday night after a day on the lake, we went to Kevin and Stacy’s house for a fun summer cookout.  There were several kids there, and Mackenzie loved playing in the fenced in back yard.  I think her favorite part of the evening was being able to eat hotdogs!  I don’t feed them to her so it was a treat.

May 28, Memorial Day weekend, my mom met me halfway and took Mackenzie on Saturday at around 3:30.  Mackenzie stayed with my parents that night and we met on Sunday afternoon to pick her back up.  We had our first date night in forever, and got to go to the movies for the first time in about a year and a half.   I missed her like crazy, though.  And, I was glad to get her back!  But, she had a great time at Gigi and Pop’s house.  They said she spent lots of time running in circles around the downstairs of their house.  She had a great time in the nursery at church, too.

On Memorial Day, we let her play in her little kiddie pool in the back yard.  At first, she didn’t want to get in the pool, and she would just reach over the edge and splash.  But, she gradually started to stand in the pool and eventually would sit down and play.  I’m sure it will be a staple of our summer entertainment!

Last week, we made the decision to drop her to 2 days a week at daycare.  She goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  It’s a lot cheaper and it will give me time to spend with just her before her brother arrives.

Last Wednesday night, she woke up throwing up.  It’s the first time that has ever happened and of course Richie was out of town in Philadelphia.  She threw up about 4 times that night, the last time being at 9 am after I had fed her some toast, and it got all over me, her, and my bed.  Thankfully it was a short-lived bug, but Thursday we spent lots of time cuddling and napping.  We had both gotten only about 4 hours of sleep the night before.  While I hate that she was sick, the cuddles were really nice.  She doesn’t take much time for cuddling these days.  She had diarrhea and very little appetite for the rest of the week and weekend.  We had planned on going to GA to visit my grandparents on Friday, but we had to cancel.  We rescheduled it for yesterday, but more on that later!  On Saturday, we took Mackenzie to the neighborhood pool and she had a blast!  She loved splashing and wading around in the shallow end (1 foot of water).  Sunday we got up early and went to the 8:00 church service.  Then, we went to an adorable little cafe near our house and ate breakfast on the patio.  Mackenzie loved being outside.

Monday morning Mackenzie and I loaded in the car and headed down to Georgia to visit family, specifically her great-grandparents.  I felt like I was packing to stay for a week with all the things I had to bring for Mackenzie – a chair for her to eat in, pack and play for nap time, lots of diapers and changes of clothes (didn’t know if her diarrhea would be gone), toys, food, a cooler for her organic milk, and my big camera of course!  She was an angel on the ride down and only slept for about 15 minutes.  She just got into a zone and would stare out the window most of the time.  I did have 4 pacis in my pocket at the beginning of the trip, and went through all of them by the time we got there.  We stopped by Beebe’s house first, and it took M a few minutes to loosen up and get unattached to my leg.  But, beebe has a cabinet full of toys in her entertainment center, so Mackenzie loved playing with them.  After that, we went to my grandparents’ house where Melinda, Karen, Andy, and Jamie were waiting for us too!  It was 11:30 and just in time for M’s naptime.  But, we hung out for a while and she finally loosened up to them, too.  We ate lunch together and had a great time visiting and catching up!  Mackenzie was great and didn’t get into to many things that she wasn’t supposed to.  She mainly stayed right in the living room with everyone, miraculously.  She loved Melinda’s mac and cheese at lunch!  Grandmama had pulled out some really old baby toys for her to play with so it was cool to watch her.  She had an old play phone, and Mackenzie didn’t even realize it was a phone!  It’s sad that she’s never seen a corded phone before.  Mackenzie didn’t take a nap until about 2:30, but I just let her schedule fall by the wayside.  She slept until about 4 and woke up very unhappy.  She ate a snack of peaches and one of Grandmama’s homemade biscuits and she felt much happier!  She loved the biscuit, but who doesn’t???  By the time it was time to leave, she was going up to grandmama and granddaddy and giving them hugs and sitting in their laps.  It was precious and they were so happy that she wasn’t scared of them.  I am going to try to make it a point to go visit again very soon so she doesn’t forget them.  I love watching their eyes light up around her.. it’s so special to me.  The ride home was just as smooth as the ride down there.  She stayed awake the whole time and did great.  But, she didn’t get in bed until almost 9.

Yesterday, she went back to daycare for the first time in a week.  She was super clingy when I dropped her off and didn’t want me to leave.  But, I slipped out and I’m sure she was fine.  I looked in the window after I left, and she was still staring out the window watching me.  It was pitiful.  But, when I picked her up, they said she had a great day and ate a LOT!  It was great news because she hadn’t had much of an appetite since last Thursday.  The teacher also said she loves to line up her toys and is so helpful when it’s time to clean up.  They said if she can’t figure out where a toy goes, she throws it in the trashcan!  Yesterday when I picked her up, the kids were at the table eating a snack of vanilla wafers.  I waited until she was finished.  When she was done, she took her paper towel and walked over and put it in the trash!  Ms. Plummer said they tell the kids to throw their trash away and put their drinks in the sink when they are done with meals or snacks.  I was very impressed!

Over the past few weeks, here are some things she has started doing:

When I take a shower, she hangs out in the bathroom with me.  When I am finished, she always hands me the towel… so smart!

She is a pointer.  She points at everything and says “uh.”  It’s always a guessing game as to what she is pointing at or what she wants.  But, most of the time we are pretty good at reading her mind.

Last Wednesday I was eating an italian ice and gave her a bite.  After that, she came up to me and signed “more” clear as day!  It was so amazing!  She can also sign “all done.” We’re trying to work with her on others, too.

She can point to daddy, ear, eye, nose, mouth, foot, belly button.  I’m working on her holding her arms open wide when we ask how big she is.  But, I think her mind works so fast that she is focusing on something else before I can even finish showing her what to do.  And, she won’t point to anything if she is slightly distracted doing something else.  You have to ask her at the perfect time.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s